Google covers 90% of users among search engines. That means 90 out of 100 internet users use Google to find something on the internet. The rest ten percent covers by bing, yahoo, Bindu, and Yandex. So if you are serious about your online business, website, or blog, you need to make sure it is on the first page of Google (rank higher on Google) so that people can get your site easily when they find a keyword.
Understanding how a search engine works
Once you publish your new blog post or a new page, search engines go through three steps to make it available to users.
The first step is to crawl. Crawl is the process where Google finds your new URL on your website through the links you are using on your site.
Crawling is the process of discovering your new updated content. Content can be web, image or video or PDF.
After finding your new content, the next step is indexing. It is storing the information found in the huge database where all contents are stored.
Once it is stored in the index of the search engine, it will later be retrieved if someone searches about it. And this process is called ranking.
How do I know which part of my website is already indexed
You can simply search – site://yourdomainname// on Google. Then you will see pages and posts from your website which is already indexed.
The ranking is the third step of a search engine. When someone searches a keyword, the search engine will provide ranked or highly relevant content for the user.
How to rank higher on Google in Ethiopia
So there are certain steps you need to follow to win an SEO competition (rank on the first page of Google in Ethiopia). Since the majority of searches undergo on Google, this article will also focus on Google.
Let’s see them step by step.
Submit your site to Google
These two sites not only help you track your ranking and where your visitors find your site, but also you can submit your site map which helps Google crawl your site faster.
Make your site SEO optimized (every page of your website need to have a keyword – not only your posts)
After integrating your site with google search console and google analytics, the next step is making your site SEO optimized.
Here you need to focus on two main things. Your pages and posts. Google only ranks those two parts anyway.
So How can I optimize my pages and posts for SEO?
There are pretty simple steps to do that. Okay, this might not be as simple as I presented but it worth it. Also, it gets better as you do it repeatedly.
1. You need to upload an SEO plugin on your website.
Both are free to use and they also have premium options if you want to upgrade.
2. Then you need to do your keyword research.
Keyword means a phrase people use to search on search engines like Google. Since you have no idea the exact words people are searching for, you gonna need to research it.
There are free websites that allow you to research your keyword. You can read more about that here. But for now, let’s see the two of them.
Moz.com is a keyword researching tool that is more precise than ubersuggest. But Ethiopia is not included in the search. That means if you want to rank locally (in Ethiopia), Moz is not a perfect fit.
Ubersuggest is not as perfect as moz.com when we come to numbers but it includes Ethiopia and you can also search Amharic and Oromifa keywords.
3. After you choose your keywords (you can choose as many as you want btw), the next step is to use them in your post or page.
There are a few places you need to focus. Let me give you bullet points.
- You need to include your keyword in your title, headings, introduction, meta description, title slug, and in your entire article as many as possible (but not too many).
- The more heading you are using the better chance to rank.
- The longer your post, the better.
- The more internal and external links it has, the better chance you have to rank on the first page of google. Even the quality of the link matters. If you link more authorized sites, you have a better chance to rank on Google.
- The more social share your post has, the better chance it has to rank. so you need to share it on your social media pages. also, you need to make it easy for your reader to share your post or pages by using social media plug-ins. (Click here to find lists of best social plugins for free.)
- The more domain and page authority it has, the better chance you have to rank on Google
- You also need to insert your keyword in your image alt description. Alt description is a phrase it showed if your picture is not loading. You need to insert your keyword in your alt description at least in half of your picture.
- Your article must be easy to read and engaging. So that your readers will share and link it to their websites.
All these steps can be monitored by Yoast SEO. See the video below to understand how it works.
So Why my website is not on Google? Why I am not getting any traffic from Google?
If you already have a website, chances are some of your pages are already in the index of the search engine let’s say Google. So why don’t you get any visitors from google.
There are different reasons for that.
- You need to choose a better keyword. if your keyword has few searches per month or if it is too competitive, you might need to switch your keyword to a better one.
- Your niche might be too competitive to rank. Some keywords are too competitive to rank. Like for example, the word ‘Ethiopia‘ is one of the most difficult to rank than ‘Ethiopian Film’.
As you can see in the picture above, the word Ethiopia has more monthly search volume (110,000) than the phrase Ethiopia film. But if you see SEO difficulty (what it takes to rank on Google’s first page), The phrase Ethiopia film is much easier (19) than Ethiopia (61). That means you need more preparation, writing skills, longer article and more links are needed to rank with the keyword Ethiopia.
So always need to consider those 2 components when you choose your keyword. Ideally, the perfect keyword consists of a higher monthly search volume and lower SEO difficulty.
- Your article might not be well optimized for SEO. So you need to make sure you got a green pass on the Yoast assessment before publishing your post or page.
- Maybe it is too soon to see any result. If your website is new or if you just publish a new blog post, you will not go to see a result the next day. for a new website, Google will give at least 6 months before taking off. So you need to give it time.
To understand SEO more, you can see the video below.