Starting a website in Ethiopia is easier than before. 10 years earlier you at least need to have website coding knowledge and dollar currency to start a website in Ethiopia. But nowadays, thanks to easier access to online information and local web hosting service like yegara host, setting your website is easier than you think.
So what are the steps?
1. The first step is to make a plan
You need to have a clear plan before you launch your blog.
You at least need to decide on
- Your niche,
- Domain name, and
- Your budget
Let’s start with your niche
Niche is a specific topic you want to cover on your blog. You can write about food or your hobby like swimming. For example: – The niche of earn-smarter is about monetizing a blog. All the articles in the blog will cover related topics.
If you are not sure about your niche, it’s okay. Only a few knew exactly what they want. Others research and decide.
Decide on your domain name
After choosing your niche, you should pick your domain name. It is better to pick a unique and easy to remember kind of domain name.
For example: – A domain name of this site is www.yegara.com. Take your time and pick something you like. Some bloggers use their name as their domain name.
Nick from websitesetup.com list 10 things you should consider while choosing your website in this article. It might help you find your perfect domain name after reading this.
Determine your resources (How much time and money do you plan to spend on your new blog?)
You should determine how much you want to spend to start your blog or website. As a starter, you only need to spend on web hosting to start your website.
You can use local hosting like yegara.com or international hosting like Bluehost to start your blog.
Click here to find a complete review on yegara host and know how to buy hosting with the price as low as 780 birrs per year.
2. Buy your domain name from Yegara host
After deciding on your budget, you can buy your domain name and hosting from local Webhosting like yegara.com or international web hosting like Bluehost.
The thing is, if you buy your domain name and hosting plan from yegara, you can pay using ETB currency which is the option you don’t get when you buy your hosting from Bluehost. And also the price of yegara is much less than Bluehost while providing a similar service. Click here to find a step by step guide on how to get started on yegara host.
You can see a two-minute video on how to order domain and hosting using Yegara Host.
After you buy your domain and hosting plan, you should be able to access your account and cPanel within hours. After you log in to your cPanel the next step is installing WordPress.
3. Install WordPress
WordPress is the world’s most popular site builder. No wonder 33% of website owners choose WordPress to build their website.
It offers a wide variety. You can build
- Your blog,
- Small business websites,
- Online store,
- A membership site, or
- Marketplace on WordPress for free.
That is why it is my number one recommendation. You can get a full WordPress review here.
You can install WordPress by logging in into cPanel –> click on softaculous –> blogs –> WordPress –> install. See the video and see each step.
4. Edit WordPress setting
5. Install, activate and customize your theme
WordPress has thousands of free themes to get you started. But they are less customizable and not unique. Because everyone is trying to use the free stuff.
You can also use premium themes for which you will pay an annual payment to use. Divi is my favorite premium theme and you can own it with a one-time payment of 249 dollars.
What I love about Divi is, you can use it in any number of the website once you own it. You can build hundreds of websites with no additional payment. And they also have the best template designs. This website is also designed using Divi premium templates. Isn’t it beautiful? smiles. You can see the best website design by Divi theme here.
So for a starter, you can use a free theme like Astra free theme. Then through time, you can change it to the premium theme. At least that is what I do on my other blog earn-smarter.com.
If you want to start on Divi, click here to learn every step you should do.
You can also see the video below.
6. Install and activate important plugins
There are some plugins pro bloggers recommend. These are: –
- Yoast plugin – it is a free plugin that helps you to write SEO optimized articles. It will automatically integrate with the new post-writing part and tells you what to change or add to rank on Google better. Over 3 million websites use this plugin.
- Image optimizer – it is one of the most important plugins. It helps you to minimize the loading speed of your blog by optimizing your image. It decreases the space it occupies without a change in image quality. There are different plug-ins you can install. Smash and image optimizers are some of the least.
- Updraft plus – help you to back up your site.
- Social sharing plug-ins – it allows your reader to share your pages and posts with one click. A plugin like shared counts will help you do that for free.
- WPForms – it helps you to leave a contact form on your blog pages and posts. Over 3 million websites use this plugin.
7. Add important pages
The next step is making some essential pages including
- Homepage – you can use your blog page as a homepage.
- About page
- Contact page
- Blog page
- Shop page
If you are using the DIVI theme, there are thousands of preformed templates. You can edit it.
8. Start writing your first blog post
The most important part of your blog is your content. It doesn’t matter if you have a beautiful blog design or attractive opt-in plugin or SEO optimized content, if you can’t provide value for your reader, even google will not rank your page.
Click here and read everything about writing a blog post. But in summary, you should do these things before writing your blog post.
- Do your keyword research – you can use free keyword research tools like Ubersuggest, Google trend, and Moz free trial. For example: – the keyword of this post is ‘start a website in Ethiopia‘, ‘websites in Ethiopia‘, and something like that. After finding your keyword, you can proceed to the next part which is the actual writing.
- Choose an attractive headline – your headline should tell what your audience should expect from reading your article. It should make them ask a question for that you are expected to prepare an answer. Your headline should be different and unique if possible. For example: – yesterday I saw a headline which says an illiterate surgeon. The article was talking about an Ethiopian fistula surgeon working in one of the fistula hospitals in Addis. The headline was so unique and interesting that I couldn’t help but click on the article. You get the idea right?
- After choosing your headline and a keyword, the next step is writing the actual post. It should be useful for your reader either to help them with their problem or entertain them or give them the latest information on the topic. Either way, your post should be about them and their problem.
- After writing the article, optimize it for SEO using the Yoast SEO plugin. It is a free plug-in and has SEO analysis and readability analysis.
- Insert pictures and/or link youtube videos if you find them important. Pictures and videos will make the article more interesting and understandable.
- Then hit the publish button. You can also click the save draft button to edit the article later before going live.
9. Other important points
- Make sure you start to sign up for email marketing service providers like MailChimp, constant contact, and convert-kit. You need to collect subscribers if you plan to make money using your website in the future.
- You can apply for ad companies like Google AdSense after writing enough blog posts on your site. But before applying to those sites, I recommend you to read reviews about them. Because most of them have malware links and it might affect your site. If you are a starter, start with Google AdSense.
- If you want to make money using your blog in Ethiopia, you should read this article to know what to expect. You can find the options here.
- Don’t expect to get views from day one. Google needs at least six months to rank your page which means don’t expect any views from google for the first 6 months. In that period, what you should do is, promoting your articles on social media.
- Is just write a helpful article after doing keyword research at least two times per week. You will see the effect after a year or 2 from google. You can also share it on your social media so that you can get referral traffic.
- Use your brand including your page font and color.
So what do you think? Do you decide to start your website? Click here if you want to contact Yegara host admin here? If you want to talk with website designers, click here.
Affiliate disclaimer – This post may contain affiliate links that at no additional cost to you, I may earn a small commission.